Dr. Larie Allen – Surgery
About Larie Allen, DVM, DACVS ACVS Founding Fellow
Dr. Larie Allen is a board certified small animal surgeon. She completed her undergraduate studies at Indiana University and gained early entry into veterinary school. She earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Florida in 1993. After graduation, she completed a small animal rotating internship at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston, followed by a surgical residency at The Animal Medical Center in New York City. She then pursued additional expertise in surgical oncology by completing a fellowship at Colorado State University in 1999.
While Dr. Allen’s primary interest lies in oncologic surgeries, she also enjoys performing various surgeries including: orthopedic surgeries such as, TPLOs and TTAs, fractures, advanced soft tissue surgeries, and neurosurgery. Dr. Allen is one of the few surgeons in the country included in the Veterinary Society for Surgical Oncology.
Dr. Allen is a native Floridian but has made the Rockies and Colorado home. She has been a member of the Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital team for 9 years where she is also the Associate Medical Director. She loves hiking, skiing, and traveling.
1. The Ins and Outs of Surgical Tumors: A review of diagnostics, staging and treatment for a variety of tumors. (90 minutes)
2. Advances in Surgical Oncology: Describing new surgical techniques and new treatment options for different types of tumors.
3. Surgical Oncology: Techniques and Reconstruction. A discussion of surgical techniques and suture material to enhance wound closure following challenging mass excisions.
4. Making Wound Healing Fun: A review of the different materials and techniques for better wound healing with case presentations.
5. Unusual Findings in Routine Abdominal Surgeries: A discussion on the variety of findings in abdominal surgeries and how to best prepare and treat.
6. Fracture Management: Really It’s Easy: An interactive review of anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of many types of fractures and the surgical/non surgical options. (90 minutes)
7. TPLO vs TTA, Do you Really Need to Know the Difference: A presentation on different types of stifle stabilizations, the basic biomechanics, advantages, and disadvantages of each.