Charleston, South Carolina 2024
May 9 - 11, 2024
End of Life - Dr. Kathleen Cooney
Internal Medicine and Nephrology - Dr. Mark Acierno
Learn about veterinary End of Life care and Internal Medicine while enjoying a dream vacation in Charleston, SC. Charleston, the South Carolina port city founded in 1670, is defined by its cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and pastel antebellum houses, particularly in the elegant French Quarter and Battery districts. The Battery promenade and Waterfront Park both overlook Charleston Harbor, while Fort Sumter, a federal stronghold where the first shots of the Civil War rang out, lies across the water.
May 9, 2024
May 10, 2024
May 11, 2024
Francis Marion Hotel
Referring Code/Group Name: Vacation24
Room Rate: $319 for Run of House +14% tax plus $2 housekeeping fee per night, + $6 pp round trip bellman/baggage handling double occupancy
This is a smoke free facility
Complimentary wifi in the guest rooms and meeting space
After check-in, any individual attendee departing prior to their departure date will be charged and early departure fee of 50% of the room rate plus sales tax.
Rate is available 3 days after the conference at the contracted rate and 3 days before the conference at the rate discount based on availability.
Rooms are limited at this special rate. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Charleston.
Hotel parking is available at the City of Charleston owned parking garage adjacent to the hotel. Valet $32 and $20 self parking per day.
Airport Distance: Only 20 mins away from Charleston International Airport (CHS)
End of Life
Kathleen Cooney, DVM, CHPV, DACAW resident
Dr. Kathleen Cooney has been practicing advanced end-of-life care since 2006. She is CEO and Director of Education for the Companion Animal Euthanasia Training Academy (CAETA). Dr. Cooney is well-known for her work in companion animal euthanasia and is an author and international speaker on the subject. She is a strong advocate for best practices in all aspects of end-of-life care and loves all things old and gray. Learn more about Dr. Cooney’s accomplishments at caetainternational.com
1. EOL Care as a Practice Builder: Understanding Animal Hospice
2. The Palliative Care Approach
3. When QOL Scales are Not Enough: Counseling Clients that Can't Let Go
4. Euthanasia ReImagined: Modern Best Practices
5. Sleeping Beauty: Pre-euthanasia Sedation & Anesthesia Protocols
6. Tips and Tricks for a Technically Smooth Euthanasia
7. Euthanasia Team Support
8. Case Discussion and Review
Mark Acierno, DVM, DACVIM
Dr. Mark Acierno received his DVM from Mississippi State University. After an internship in small animal medicine and surgery, he completed an internal medicine residency at Tufts University. Dr. Acierno spent 12 years at the Louisiana State University developing one of the most advanced nephrology programs in the world. He is currently a professor at Midwestern University’s veterinary teaching hospital where his clinical and research interests include hypertension, kidney disease and renal replacement therapies. He also serves as the associate dean for academic affairs. Dr. Acierno has an MBA from Pace University in New York City. Prior to veterinary medicine, he had a career in business and finance. He maintains a special interest in personal finance as it relates to veterinary professionals. In his spare time, Dr. Acierno enjoys scuba diving, climbing, hiking and exploring the Arizona desert.
1. Challenging UTI and Antimicrobial Therapy
2. Kidney Emergencies - Emergency Treatment of Nephrotoxins
3. FLUTD - Help I Cannot Pee!
4. IMHA/ITP - an Internist's Perspective
5. Managing Chronic Enteropathies in Dogs
6. Hypertension - New Guidelines New Recomendations
7. Acute Kidney Injury
8. Improving the Quality of Life for Cats with Chronic Kidney Disease
9. Leptospirosis: Current Recommendations and What is the Risk to Veterinary Professionals
10. Nephrotoxicosis: Ethylene Glycol and Beyond
11. Now How Do We Turn Off This Spigot??? (Diagnosing and Treating Canine Incontinence)
12. Help! Help! I Can’t Pee!! (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease)
13. Protein Losing Nephropathy
14. Canine Geology (Uroliths)
15. Intro to Dialysis Medicine - How Does it Work and When to Refer
16. An Introduction to Acid / Base Disorders
17. UTI and Antimicrobial Therapy - Since When Don't We Treat Bacteriuria!
19. That Darn Cat! Veterinary Adventures in IBD, Lymphoma and Pancreatitis!