Asheville – North Carolina 2023
May 17 - 19, 2023
Behavior - Dr. Margaret Duxbury
Dermatology - Dr. Robert Schick
Learn from two experts in Veterinary Medicine and expand your knowledge on Behavior and Dermatology in Asheville. Asheville is a city in western North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s known for a vibrant arts scene and historic architecture, including the dome-topped Basilica of Saint Lawrence. The vast 19th-century Biltmore estate displays artwork by masters like Renoir. The Downtown Art District is filled with galleries and museums, and in the nearby River Arts District, former factory buildings house artists’ studios. It is within 90 minutes to the entrance of Smoky National Park and entrance is free.
May 17, 2023
May 18, 2023
May 19, 2023
Renaissance Asheville Downtown Hotel
Referring Code/Group Name: Promo code VET23
Room Rate: Run of House hotel room $219+ 13% tax.
Accommodations are limited at this special rate. Please book and register early!
Arrangements have been made so you can extend your vacation 2 nights before and/or after your destination seminar at the same rate if rooms are available at the property based on availability. You will need to call in to book room if you are extending beyond the conference nights, 828-210-3009. I would suggest booking the nights of the 16, 17 and 18 using the link and then call in to extend. Book or Call early to secure your choice of rooms.
• The check-in time is 4:00 PM and the check-out time is 11:00 AM. Early Check-in and Late Check-out requests cannot be guaranteed and must be made prior to arrival.
Self Parking $22 per night and Valet $29 per night
AVL Asheville Regional Airport is the closest airport - 15 miles away
AVL is served by these carriers: Allegiant, American, Delta, Elite, Spirit and United.
Margarey Duxbury, DVM, DACVB
Dr. Margaret M. Duxbury is board certified through the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. Her life has been a wild ride through veterinary school (UMN 1981), mixed practice, small animal general practice, 3 kids, behavior residency and board certification, university associate professorship, and co-founding and managing a successful specialty behavior practice. Phew! She is tired! But still excited about behavior medicine with lots to talk about! Dr. Duxbury shares her life with her husband David (also a DVM), and always one more dog than sanity dictates.
1. The Perils of Being an Indoor Cat (1 hour)
2. Cat Training: Yes, You Can and Why You Want To! (25 minutes)
3. Cat Fight! Essential Knowledge for Promoting Harmonious Cat Families (1 hour)
4. Primary Care: Behavior’s First Responders (1 hour)
5. It Doesn’t Have to Be Sexy: The Essential Approach to Treating Any Behavior Problem (1 hour)
6. Don’t Forget to Be a Vet! Medical Problems and Behavior (1 hour)
7. Can This Dog Be Saved? Assessing Prognosis and Risk in Aggressive Dogs (1 hour)
8. Real Life Solutions for Separation Anxiety (1 hour)
Robert Schick DVM, DACVD
Dr. Robert O. Schick, DVM, DACVD has practiced veterinary dermatology since 1986 and he became the first board-certified veterinary dermatologist in Atlanta, GA. Dr. Schick completed both his bachelor's degree and DVM at the University of Florida. He completed a small animal internship at Oradell Animal Hospital and his residency at The University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Schick has practiced in multiple locations recognizing the extreme needs of dermatologic care across the country. He began serving the needs of the Florida panhandle in 2015. Dr. Schick, who is also a commercial pilot, volunteers his time with the Veteran's Airlift Command to help transport military personnel in times of special need. Dr. Schick is very passionate about Gator Sports and loves to scuba dive in his spare time, taking special interest in underwater photography.
1. The Pruritic Dog Part 1
2. The Pruritic Dog Part 2
3. Microscopic Dermatology
4. Feline Dermatology Part 1
5. Feline Dermatology Part 2
6. A Picture is worth a 1000 Words Part 1: Case Studies
7. A Picture is worth a 1000 Words Part 2: Case Studies